Halloween is a fun and spooktacular adventure. First there was the decision and ordering of the costume. Then there was the planning of Brenna's 5th grade party. I decorated the house for Halloween with spiders and bats and black candlesticks. Then there was the buying of candy that I was desperately trying not to eat by hiding it from myself. And finally the day was here...
I ran from work to Brenna's party. On the way I stopped and picked up our green monster cupcake for the kids. When they opened the lid to show me their sugared creation and I saw multiple eyes with creepy fingers staring back at me, I knew it would be a hit and felt a spark of the excitement that would be a full-raging fire for the children.
When I arrived at Brenna's class, the children were gone and I was able to help decorate the classroom with streamers, Halloween scenes and balloons. Believe me, balloons go a long way towards creating a festive happy scene. Finally, the children returned and got dressed in their costumes. Brenna and her two friends were being crayons. Brenna was a carolina blue crayon! Getting ready for the Halloween parade was like an activity in and of itself. Finding shoes, belts, hats, masks, ears and whiskers, and any other small detail that would make the outfit was a practice of witchcraft and spells. Finally, everyone was happy and ready to walk! It was a colder day and I was glad Brenna was wearing long clothes underneath her paper thin crayon dress. I planted myself with other friends to wait for Brenna to come walking by! As I stood there I was a little sad realizing that this was my last elementary Halloween walk and party! Noooo............... wah.............. sigh.......... Brenna can't be growing up! And then she walked by as happy as she could be, arms linked with her two other crayon friends. And I was ok after that. I love when I see Brenna so light-hearted and having a good time.
Arriving back at the classroom the party began in ernest. The children played the mummy game where they had to use toilet paper and get the most of their team mate wrapped before the others did. They played a game where they created a spider web with yarn. As each student said a compliment about another student, they would then throw them the yarn and make a web. That was crazy. They had to move candy corn from one bowl to another with chop sticks and they played freeze dance. It was a lot of fun and the kids were great! We had green and orange food for them to eat! It was such an easy party and all too soon it was time to go!
We had been invited over to the Faraones for dinner and then trick or treating! Brenna had so many of her friend there. The crayons and the pink ladies! It made for a cute combination of pictures. The girls were really too excited to eat and ate little of the pizza, grapes and carrots we moms were trying to get them to eat. As the sun set and the dark ascended, we headed out. It amazes me how different Brenna's trick or treating experiences are from mine! Mine were all about getting the most candy-I was very focused and on a mission! Brenna's is so much more balance and about having fun with friends and finding the dogs in each house to pet. She wants the candy, don't get me wrong-what kid doesn't-but it isn't about that.
We trick or treated in the Lakelands and kind of went on the outskirts and ended up by Lindsey's house. Lindsey was finished, she was tired. I thought we were done. And I was so happy when Lindey's mom had us pile into her car and drove us back towards the Faraones. Along the way, the girls were shouting out the window at anyone they saw and knew. It was just a happy moment and it must have revived them for they asked to be let out to "trick or treat our way back to the Faraones." And so we ended up trick or treating for about another hour!! I couldn't believe it.
When we returned home, I wanted to weigh Brenna's candy. She ended up with nearly 7 pounds of candy. She had so much candy and had at least 3 full sized candy bars! She had a great night with great friends.






No comments:
Post a Comment