Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Eve Shiva

Leslie's mom passed away right before Christmas.  Even though we knew it was coming it was still filled with loss and sadness.  Mimi's funeral was on Sunday, December 23rd.  It was amazing!  I loved the program that was filled with the Keenans Jewish traditions.  There was a poem about a ship that had left the harbor that had not diminished in size, but rather it was our humanness that made it diminish and seem smaller when really it is still just as big as it was when it was right beside us.  I loved it and remembered that the same poem was in their father's program.
The other thing it said that really touched me was that it said, when I am gone, turn to others and give them what you would want to give me.  Give it away.  And when all that is left is the love, then give that away too!  It touched my soul.  I loved it.  And when the family was exiting the building with the casket the cantor was singing.  I loved it and also felt it speak to me.  I didn't understand his words, it was Hebrew, but there was so much longing and sadness in it, along with hope.  I know it sounds silly to get this from a song I couldn't understand, but i think that's why it spoke to me.  If I had listened for the words, i wouldn't have heard the message in the tone!  I know it sounds like an English lesson, but it was haunting and beautiful.
     We went to sit Shiva with them on Christmas Eve!  It certainly wasn't our traditional celebration, but it was all about the meaning of Christmas-of love and of family supporting one another.  I wouldn't have wanted to wish to be anywhere else!  It was beautiful.  It was nice to be able to talk with Jacqueline and Leslie, Judith and Erica.  Their memories of Mimi and their relationship with their grandmother leave me hoping for the same thing with Brenna and my mom, with my grandchildren!  Through the sadness it was so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment