Monday, December 31, 2012

Football Banquet

There will never be enough words for me to write about all this banquet meant to me. 

However, let me write down what Coach Mac said about Tobin.  Coach Mac is an amazing speaker and really pulls you in with his words.  I wish I were in a different place with this so I could have completely enjoyed this!



"  Last spring...coach Klots, Changuris and I sat down and looking at our team..and we said you know we think we have a pretty good quarterback in Mikey Murtaugh, but we need to have a really good back up because as we've learned from experience starting quarterbacks get hurt and you gotta have a good guy there that you can trust.  So I went to Tobin last spring and said 'buddy, I'm asking you to consider playing quarterback'....Tobin is a very good receiver, a very good wide receiver,  and he said 'coach, I'll do whatever you need me to do to help the team and that's what he did.  He put aside his personal goals for the good of the team. And we were forced into a very difficult situation when Mikey got hurt and Tobin went right into the game and within a few minutes made his very first touchdown pass.  And we went on to dominate paint branch 34-0.  and Tobin again, prepared every single day and I had to make a very difficult decision as the head coach and the coach of the quarterbacks on which direction this team was going to go and it wasn't a popular decision with Toibn and I don't blame him. But again he unselfishly put the teams goals in front of his own.  And I had a chance to spend some time with him the other day and I was able to tell him that,  how proud I was and I commend him because a lot of 15, 15, and 17 year old young men, they have their own agenda.  Tobin didn't which I appreciate and value tremendously.  He finished the year 16-24, 220 yards passing, 67% completion rate, threw one touchdown pass and rushed for 3 other touchdowns.  Really looking forward to watching him develop in the fall season, multi-sport athlete and all around team guy.  Excellent young man, Tobin"

After no communication with him, it was nice to hear a little bit about what he was thinking! 












No comments:

Post a Comment