For me, Larry welcomed me into the family so easily. I don't think he judged mine and Andy's youth when we decided to get married or me. If I was who his son wanted, then I was who he wanted. He was vibrant and enthusiastic in the early days of our marriage. At our wedding, one of my mom's friends saw Larry, and asked who he was. My mother added that he was a Montgomery County police officer as well. To which she replied, "It makes a girl want to go out and commit a crime." The marines and his police life were a large part of who he was. And he had Sue. He and Sue were dating at the same time Andy and I were dating. It was sort of funny to think of us as dating peers, but there it was. He was falling in love with Sue as I was falling in love with Andy. We got married in August and they got married the next December. It was great having them close to us and we would have Larry's Italian home meals as often as we could. Boy, could he cook a good meatball!!
But all to soon, he retired and moved out to Vegas to become a poker dealer. True story. And he loved it. He would call with these larger than life stories about the casino and we would just laugh. When Tobin was two we were able to visit him and he had a picture of Tobin put onto a casino chip! It was a sweet gesture for his grandson! I love that chip. Throughout the years we would all talk and visit as often as we could. But when Tobin went to high school Larry began coming out for his football games and Noah's RFL games. He also would watch Brenna's soccer games. I could tell he wasn't used to the cold. And time had taken its toll on him. But he was still enthusiastic and positive. But he loved going to the football games. He loved watching Tobin and Noah play hard and enjoy success. I could always tell these football games and the home made Italian dinners were the highlights of his trip. He loved watching them. There was this look of concentration as he would watch the action on the field unfold. He wouldn't say much until the end of the game. Then he would share his thoughts of Tobin or Noah's actions, the outcome of the game and the coaching.
This summer, like last summer, Andy, Brenna and Noah stopped in Vegas to see PopPop on their way home from acting camp. It was a quick weekend added onto the week of camp. But just coming off of acting camp, when it was so fresh, meant PopPop got the best of it. The first year just Brenna went and this year Noah went as well! I think Pop Pop even got a kick out of hearings about Brenna's dreams of being an actress! And I know he listened with his whole heart because he came up with her screen name: Bre Andrews! How perfect is that? Trust Pop Pop to come up with the most perfect name ever! Ever in his style, he came up with the perfect name that still incorporates where Brenna comes from! It is something she can be proud of! And a name that audiences will like the sound of. He listened and because he did, he contributed to her dream, and gave her inspiration to continue on.
PopPop you have an amazing legacy in our 3 Pagley children. They will continue to do you proud. Watch over them. We love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment