Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The World (Or our part of it) goes Black for Tobin's Bday!

      I always dream about the perfect birthdays for my children, especially big, momentous ones!!  Hence, I probably tend to go overboard (can anyone say OC?).  I couldn't let Tobin's actual 16th birthday, and a Friday to boot, go unnoticed simply because we had celebrated it two weeks previously!  I was hoping to have people over to our house to celebrate, but since Tobin and Babette had broken up just on Monday, he wasn't really up for it!  So, he ended up going to his friend Grace's house for his birthday.  Andy picked him up from there to take him to  meet Sam Gurowitz (his bday twin) for dinner at Crust (Sam's dad's restaurant) for dinner!  They were going to have a sleepover afterwards!  Sam Shin also showed up which was like the cherry on top!
     However, when they got home, a surprisingly fierce storm came out of nowhere and wouldn't you know, the power went out on Tobin's 16th birthday!!  Complete darkness.  He was spending the night at Sam's and now they were cast into darkness.  They called to see if we had power and we didn't so they stayed put at Sam's house!  They celebrated in darkness with a sleepover.   So, the best part of our day celebrating Tobin's bday was when we decorated his room.  It was the first time we hadn't decorated his room for when he woke up!  So, we decorated it while he was out at workouts that day!
   I have to say that not spending some of the day with him was really sad for me!  16 years ago, I held him close to me physically all day and I wanted that same closeness on this day!  But he is growing up and I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.  Happy birthday to one of the greatest joys of my life!  You would make any mom proud!  We love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment