Auburn: First stop. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon to what would jokingly be one of the best days of the entire spring break! Auburn was absolutely beautiful. Driving onto campus was surreal, how could we really be doing college visits for Tobin? The buildings were a beautiful red brick with white cornerstones. We parked near the student center to walk around. Even though it was a Sunday, there were enough students milling about that we were able to get a feel of what Auburn was. The stadium was so near the student center; it is silly I know but that added a lot to the excitment of visiting a college. We drove around the rest of campus and saw so many things. We parked and went to see the fitness center. That's where we learned they were building a new one set to be done in the fall of 2013. We saw plans for it and it was beautiful! Amazing! And definitely something that captured Tobin's attention. As we continued the drive we saw what we think are some dorms under construction. The campus just seemed like a really great place to hang out and attend class.
Tobin's tweet: Auburn has a chipotle, that's a seller.
| The student center is straight ahead |
| I think these are new dorms being built on the edge of campus. |
| The stadium |
Clemson: We left Auburn Monday morning with a tour scheduled for Clemson at 1:45. It was super tight and Andy had to drop off Tobin and me at the visitor's center to make sure we didn't loose our spot.
Clemson was definitely a little older looking campus. And it was so dang cold. And windy. Our tour guide was a very nice young man. He definitely knew a lot about the campus and he clearly enjoys Clemson. I really think the weather impacted our perspective of Clemson. We were hunkering into our coats and whenever we could we would hide in the shelter of a building. However, our tour ran over long and we had to leave to get to USC for Tobin to meet up with his friends. So we left Clemson thinking it was nice, but certainly not feeling like we really knew what it would be like to go there.
University of South Carolina: This one is where we pretty much dropped Tobin off with his friends and we were left to drive around on our own. I absolutely loved USC! It was beautiful. There were palm trees amongst the buildings. I loved campus. I loved the bookstore. I loved the Greek Village. I loved honors dorm. I loved that USC was in the town of Columbia. I really didn't know what to expect with the college being right in the heart of downtown. Auburn and Clemson were clearly the center of their "college town" and they were the hub of activity. Being planted in a big city I wasn't sure what that would look like. I loved it though. The state building was next to the capital building. It was great. Tobin's friend Sean, who is a freshmen at USC showed Tobin what was really great about the campus for college students, the nightlife and the dorms and where to eat. Tobin told us about it and we ended up eating at the "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" restaurant Pawley's Front Porch on our way out of USC. I kept thinking I had time to get a picture of Tobin in front of the USC sign and then...I never did. It was a great 3 days of college visits.
Andy summed it up the best. REally we should visit the campus' and get a "feel" for them and if Tobin can see himself there. Then go back once he's accepted and take the tour to see what they have to offer!


No comments:
Post a Comment