Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tobin's game against Sherwood

Tobin had his last JV basketball game on Feb. 3rd.  It still seems surreal to me that this would be his last game for a JV team.  He is growing up way to fast.  Tobin's team has been on a winning streak, they've won like the last 11 games and it would be such a great way to end the season with a final win!  We all wanted this really badly.  I knew it was on Tobin's mind when I saw on his twitter feed his tweet:  "Getting close to ."  I really knew nothing about the opposing team until I arrived and heard another parent say that they were a good team and had one more win than us.   I knew it would be a tough game then.  That is the understatment.

To make a long story short:  By the end of the 2nd half we were down by 8 points.  We hadn't been down 8 points the whole season so I was shocked and nervous.  Tobin has started the entire season and really has brought some strength to the team.  Of course during the half time break, we were all wondering what Leone was saying to the team.  Little did we know that he was bleeping himself, saying things like, "You all bleep got this!" and "What the bleep is going on with x play?"  However, I think the turning point came when Coach Leone threw a pin down to emphasize his disgust and it exploded everywhere!  The tension broke and the boys laughed.  I think that did more than anything to calm them down. 
The third quarter our JV team came out strong!  And by the end of the 3rd quarter we were up by one. And then during the entire 4th quarter, we were up, then they were up, then we and then they!  It was so tense and dramatic.  A Sherwood parent told me (after we disagreed about a ref's call) that I had "QO googles" on!  As if he didn't have Sherwood ones on?  I moved so as not to be near him.  But it was still intense.  During the last 10 seconds of the game we were up by 1 point.  The other team had the ball and were throwing it in.  They were going to have time to get one shot-which would determine the win or the loss.  They were strong shooters from any where so I was nervous!   They threw it in, dribbled down and their player shot the ball.....and missed!  We won!  It was so great-what a great way for our JV boys to end their season!!  It was the best.  There was so much celebrating.  I was so happy for Tobin who had played a great game!!

I loved seeing Tobin's words on twitter the next day!
End of game twitter (Tobin's):  Couldn't think of a better way to have ended my jv career. I love you all. Great game and great season

No comments:

Post a Comment