Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Dad's House





     Since Tierc was staying a month in Maryland, we had lots of time and places to go.  One of the natural stops during her stay here would be North Carolina to visit my dad.  The drive is just long enough that it needs to be shared. We looked at the traffic cams online, saw traffic was good and decided to set out early! So the three of us sisters, (in almost true Thelma and Louise style, except for the kids sitting in the back) set out with 2 cars, 6 kids, 428 miles between us and our destination, and 7 1/2 long hours to go!  The car trip down went amazingly well with all of the children.  The only hiccup in our trip was about 5 hours into it.  I was riding with Robin in her car while Tierc drove my car ahead of us.  Robin and I were talking when we saw Tierc veer off the road.  She corrected and was back on course.  I didn't want to be overly controlling so I debated about whether I should call to see if she were ok, had been talking to the kids, or falling asleep.  But of their own accord, my hands pulled my cell from my purse and dialed her number.  Tierc answered and said she really wasn't sure what had happened-she was tired and could I please drive?  So, we traded! When you're driving alone, after having done it for hours already, that is the hardest!!  If you have someone to talk to you, the time flies!  But it all worked out well.  I cranked up my music (sorry kids) and listened to Rascall Flatts, Keith Urban, Blake Shelton, Sara Evans, and Miranda Lambert, my new guilty pleasure!
     Even though we were there only a few short days, those days quickly settled into a pattern.  We woke up and ate at the continental breakfast at the hotel (the waffle maker was the biggest attraction), played in their rather small pool, ate a quick lunch out and then headed to my dad's house until just after bedtime so as not to overstay our welcome!  The breakfast was well...pretty dull, but came with the hotel room purchase so why not?  They had a little cafe seating area so we were able to eat breakfast together.
     Even as we were eating breakfast the kids wanted to get out to the pool!  Even though we were told there was a baseball tourney in the area and a team was staying at the same hotel as us, we never saw them or anyone else at the pool.  We had it to ourselves which was a good thing as it probably couldn't have taken anymore.  Grayson, Thane, Tyler, Ethan, and Brenna were all about the fun in the pool-the rambunctious kind of fun, the fun that drives us moms crazy!  They wanted to dunk each other, they wanted to push each other in, and every other thing they could think of.  We were so happy when they settled on putting the pool chairs in the water to play with.  We also tried to buy a ball for the pool thinking that on the second day it would make it more fun!  Ha.  Tierc and I buying the ball envisioned collaborative games such as throwing it to each other, one person throwing it to the others in a game of 500 etc.  The kids each wanted to have it as their own and it created more fights than it was worth.  So, we kept having to take it away!  Oh well.  At least the pool helped them get their energy out which made us feel good about taking them to Dad's house.
     Dad's house had all of the components of a fun trip for the kids as well.  Dad lives on a lake and what's not to love about that?  While his boat was out of commission his dock was not and the kids had a great time jumping into the lake.  They loved using the neighbor's slide as well and finally, they discovered the jet ski ramp floated and used it as a boat "out in the middle of the ocean."  What was so funny to me about that was that with five cousins- four boys and one girl- they made the girl, Brenna the "captain" of the boat!!  That's my girl!  Whatever game they concocted in their head, they played for hours and had a great time!  They had such a blast.  Dad also had a golf cart for the kids to ride around on.  Dad was so good about sharing his toys!  And the kids wanted to drive the cart, not just ride in it!  And wouldn't you know it, they were doggone good drivers!  Even little Laney was awesome at driving the cart!  Tyler's comment to me was, "Brenna drives careful, but I drive fast."  Guess what that means, little Brenna?  You will get your license when you're 16 1/2!!  Good girl!  The other thing that made it so easy was that my dad was so laid back!  Nothing bothered him!  Not the door being opened 100 times, not the wet towels dropped everywhere, not the 1000 sodas and drinks we drank out of his refrigerator!  Dad and Marie just seemed genuinely happy that we were there!  I was also glad to see Dana, her husband Theodore, and their daughter Jordan!  It was so much fun.  I love talking with Dana and Theodore and getting to know Jordan was great!  Ever since I was a little girl, going to my dad's house, part of what I looked forward to was hanging out with Dana!  And really Theodore too, since they have been dating since they were sophomores in high school!  Yikes, that's my Tobin now!
     I was able to get a few pictures of the grandchildren with Dad and Marie!  I wanted to blow it up and frame it as a thank-you. So I ran to Walmart to print out the picture that last night and in the morning we presented Dad with the framed picture!  I think he loved it.  I know that we all got teary giving it to him.  Robin said that he had tears in his eyes as well (I didn't see) and he said that he would put it by his bed so that he could see it every morning!  It was a great visit and made it all the harder to say good-bye!  Thanks so much Dad!  We loved every minute of it!
     One more thing I need to say about the trip was that Brenna was absolutely a delight to have around!  She was so good with all of the cousins and since none of her siblings were around, I really didn't have to correct her behavior at all!  It was soooo nice.  I can't say I got to spend a whole lot of time with her as she was intent on playing with the cousins and I was set on talking with Dad and Marie, but it was nice to know she was there!  I loved it.






No comments:

Post a Comment