Hi everyone,
Winter Sports Night is pretty much a recap of the Basketball Banquet and the things that the coaches talk about. However, for JV there are two additional awards that are given out- the MVP award and the cougar award. The coaches and MVP are pretty obvious, but the cougar award is an award voted on by the team. You are supposed to vote for someone who works hard, makes some key plays in games and who also surprises you. I think it gives you a little bit of insight into where the teams head is at. Every sport does this and so there is a wide audience to support you and cheer you on.
Pretty soon it was the JV basketball team's turn. Coach Leone walked up to the podium and immediately called Tobin Pagley and Matt S. up to the stage. I was so shocked and happy for Tobin. I could tell by the way Tobin stood up that he was really surprised! I didn't know which award he was getting but either one would have been great. If I had had my choice it would have been the cougar award as his team was moving up with him to Varsity next year, but the coaches would have been great as well as it would have given the Varsity coach some insight into another coaches head about Tobin. It was going to be perfect either way.
Tobin was given the cougar award!! The coach shared the same story as he had at the banquet, but it was so much more funny this time. He was talking about Tobin's work ethic and the story about how he missed a pass and that even though the team was winning, Tobin came out of the game and "looked like he had shot a cat" even though they were up. The entire crowd went wild and laughed! I mean who says that! But Tobin can tell you the stories about things that Coach Leone says. And it always makes us laugh! I don't know if it's Tobin being funny or if Leone is funny and maybe it's both, but it always is fun to hear Coach Leone stories!
This is a picture of Tobin with his "cougar" award!
I am so proud of you Tobin! You work so hard and I am amazed at your spirit and dedication. I do think you have flown under the radar and the coaches haven't recognized your contributions to the team, but I think the tides may be turning!
No comments:
Post a Comment